Work With Chicago Innovation
The Chicago Innovation team is made up of people who are passionate about Chicago and want to celebrate, educate, and connect its innovation community in unique ways. If you share that passion and think you’d make a good fit for the team, we’d love to hear from you.
Chicago Innovation is a year-long series of events and activities with one overarching mission — to accelerate the growth of innovation in the Chicago region. Our goal is to help the economy of the Chicago region grow through the jobs, revenues, and improved lives that are the result of innovation.
Chicago Innovation is an Equal Opportunity Employer; women and people of color of all ages are strongly encouraged to apply.
Manager of the Women’s Mentoring Co-op
Chicago Innovation is looking for an enthusiastic, driven, and entrepreneurial self-starter who is passionate about innovation and inclusion to join our team as Manager of the Women’s Mentoring Co-op. What started as a group of 25 women in 2016 has grown into a vibrant community of over 450 women who are committed to our mission of connecting, empowering and propelling women interested in innovation and entrepreneurship in Chicago. We are seeking a leader who possesses the vision to take the Women’s Mentoring Co-op to greater heights.
Now in its 19th year, Chicago Innovation operates a year-round series of events and programs to educate, connect and celebrate innovators in the Chicago region. Our vision is to solidify the Chicago region as a global leader in innovation, and to ensure that innovation is for everyone.
Primary job duties would include the following:
Partner relationship-building and management
- Lead the identification and solicitation of sponsors, funders and strategic partners
- Write grants to support the financial growth and sustainability of the program
- Manage relationships with existing sponsors and key partners
Program planning and implementation:
- Recruit mentors to participate in each 6-month cohort cycle of the program
- Manage the process of recruiting mentees and pairing them with mentors
- Communicate with mentors and mentees throughout the course of each cohort cycle
- Oversee data collection and measurement of program outcomes
Event planning and execution
- Plan and lead the Celebrating Women in Innovation event, attended by 500+ people every May
- Oversee the planning and execution of each cohort’s kickoff reception, occurring twice per year
- Oversee the planning and execution of Lunch and Learn roundtable events, occurring every two months
- Communicate with attendees leading up to the event to manage RSVPs and answer questions
- Create detailed agenda, floor plans and on-stage scripts for events; and act as event emcee
Represent the Women Mentoring Co-op to the broader Chicago business and non-profit communities
- Act as an ambassador for supporting gender equity and inclusion in Chicago
- Engage in thought leadership around issues impacting women in the workplace, including the writing of op-eds and articles, speaking on panels at events, etc.
- Passion for inclusion and enjoys working with women who are committed to empowering others
- Good communication, writing and interpersonal skills
- Creative problem solver, efficient work-flow manager, and strong attention to detail
- Ability to manage multiple tasks in a highly organized manner
- Strong teamwork and consensus-building skills; effective in group decision-making
- Positive attitude, entrepreneurial and a passion for building Chicago’s innovation community
Experience level and how to apply
Events & Communications Coordinator
Chicago Innovation is looking for an enthusiastic, driven, and entrepreneurial self-starter to join our team as Events & Communications Coordinator.
Chicago Innovation, established in 2002 as the Chicago Innovation Awards, has grown from a single awards ceremony to a year-round series of events and activities designed to educate, connect and celebrate innovators across the Chicago region. The organization’s expansion has included formation of the Women Mentoring Co-op to support female innovators, the Chicago Student Invention Convention to teach the innovation process to students in K-8th grade, Ageless Innovators to bridge the generations through inter-generational co-mentorship, Corporate Start-up Matchmaking to connect large corporations with emerging start-ups, and an Innovation MBA in partnership with IIT that offers graduate students with experiential learning and scholarships.
• Support Chicago Innovation’s year-round series of events
o Assist in all areas of conceptualization, planning, and execution of events
o Manage the registration process, communications to attendees, and promotion of each event
o Assist with event logistics, including coordination among vendors and exhibitors, load-ins and load-outs, attending site visits, conducting venue research, and reviewing proposals
o Recruit and manage volunteers
• Lead Chicago Innovation Membership program
o Act as lead point of contact for the organization’s year-round individual members
o Manage member onboarding and renewals
o Develop and implement strategies to grow member base
• Support communications and marketing initiatives
o Lead Chicago Innovation’s social media presence across all accounts (Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, and Instagram)
o Assist in a variety of marketing-related activities involving Google analytics, email marketing, SEO, website curation, video archive curation and promotion, and more
• Strong communicative skills including writing, presenting, and face-to-face interaction; strong attention to detail, and an ability to manage multiple tasks in a highly organized manner
• Positive attitude, entrepreneurial mindset, and a passion for building Chicago’s innovation community
• Technical proficiency with Microsoft Office, basic video editing, event registration platforms, email marketing platforms, and social media channels.
Experience level and how to apply
This is an entry level position. We are seeking a candidate with 1-3 years of work experience in relevant fields, which can include relevant internship experience. Learn more at www.chicagoinnovation.com. If interested, please submit resume, cover letter and sample portfolio of design work (link to your website or PDF of work) to Luke Tanen at [email protected]
Chicago Innovation Summer Internship
Chicago Innovation is looking for a highly motivated individual to join the team as a Summer Intern starting in June 2020.
Established in 2002, Chicago Innovation empowers the Chicago innovation ecosystem by educating, connecting and celebrating innovators. The Summer Intern would play a co-leadership role in identifying organizations that should be nominated for the Chicago Innovation Awards, which annually shine a bright light on the creative spirit of Chicago by focusing attention on the most innovative new products and services introduced in the region. The intern would be part of the team involved in analyzing all new product and service submissions. The intern will work with the executive team at Chicago Innovation, along with our panel of judges, to promote and evaluate all nominations received.
In addition, the intern would also play a supportive role with the various Chicago Innovation events and activities that will take place this summer, which include the Chicago Innovation Foundation’s Un-Gala, the Chicago Innovation Summit, Nominee Celebration, Women’s Mentoring Co-op, Chicago Student Invention Convention, Ageless Innovators, Corporate-Startup Matchmaking and other programs.
This is a paid internship. If interested, please submit a resume and cover letter to [email protected]